The Student and Graduate Support Services (SGSS) seeks to provide a holistic, systematic approach to the funding of higher education for regional community members who will become exceptional students and graduates and lead ethical change within their fields of academic endeavour both nationally and internationally.
RBI SGSS also provides dedicated support to online or distance learning students as is currently being demonstrated through the Akanyang Programme.
We are committed to supporting the ideals of human development and ongoing professional learning by promoting student self-awareness, competence, self-worth, resilience, and physical well-being.
- Early identification and tracking of university directed learners (grade 9-12);
- A grade 11-12 focus on university and career orientation and planning;
- Facilitating online university registration and funding applications.
Key focus areas
- Student potential (ability) and current academic competence;
- Leadership and service participation;
- Personal and interpersonal attributes and characteristics;
- University readiness e.g. prerequisite modular learning in functional computer literacy;
- University language and learning skills;
- Leadership and ethics in grade 10-12.
- Selection and transition support;
- Creation of learning communities within university-based faculty cohorts;
- Mentorship and tracking programme of students e.g. performance, psycho-social transition and well-being;
- Professional development and experiential learning opportunities e.g. conferences and work-based learning;
- Performance incentives and recognition systems;
- Work-readiness development.
Candidates participate in personal and academic mentoring and coaching with SGSS staff and professionals in their field of study. Student meetings are held throughout the year on campuses in order to track student progress and implement specific support if required.
Alumni and Diaspora Network
- Developing a dynamic alumni community of local and international professionals and networks;
- Supporting professional development activities;
- Tracking career paths of alumni and developing communication systems.